We're proud to be a top UK clinic that offers a range of hair loss treatments to women
When it comes to tackling the complex world of hair loss treatments for women, there a wide range of options available to you.
Medical (Non-Surgical) Treatments
In our clinic here are some of the top causes of female baldness we encounter:
Polycystic ovary syndrome
What our patients have to say about us...
Not even 5 weeks after the procedure people are already noticing that my hair is looking thicker and fuller than it was before the procedure and the full impact hasn’t even started yet. I can’t wait to see what it looks like in 6 months time.
Quite a few people, including my hairdresser, are so impressed with the results on me so early on that they are planning their own procedures with this clinic in the imminent future. This whole team at Hillside are very professional, down to earth & helpful at all times and I feel very fortunate that I...
Hillside Hair Clinic Patient
Discover the steps to how the cause of your baldness can be investigated:
1. Inspection of the scalp for inflammation, scaling and erythema. It is important to determine whether hair loss is associated with scalp scarring.
2. Non-scarring alopecia- causes include androgenic alopecia, telogenic effluvium, alopecia areata, and tinea capitis. Non scarring alopecias demonstrate visible follicular units while scarring alopecias are devoid of follicular units.
3. Scarring alopecia- causes include Discoid lupus erythematosus, lichen planus, severe fungal, viral or bacterial infection, injury or burn.
4. The “Pull Test”- a useful ancillary test, approximately 60 hairs are grasped between the thumb, index finger and middle finger, from the base near the scalp, and firmly but not forcefully tugged away from the scalp. If more than 10% or six hairs are pulled away from the scalp, this constitutes a positive pull test and implies active hair shedding. The patient must not shampoo for at least one day prior to this test.
At Hillside we recommend, that because of the complexity of female hair loss, you should come in for a free private consultation, screening for treatable causes is essential and our medical doctor will discuss this with you.
Blood tests required when investigating causes of female baldness
- Full Blood Count (FBC)
- Ferritin serum iron and total iron binding capacity
- B12 and folate
- HbA1c, blood sugar
- T3, T4 and TSH
- In women with hyperandrogenism and such virilising signs such as hirsutism, acne or irregular periods please check free testosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone
- Other hormones- Prolactin, FSH, LH oestrogen and progesterone
- Vitamin D
- Pregnancy test (if proceeding with surgery)
- If confirmed scarring alopecia due to discoid lupus erythematosus, an anti-nuclear antibodies examination must be performed
About one-third of women will suffer from hair loss in their life
In postmenopausal women two thirds of women suffer hair loss. This has a psychological and social impact, affecting their quality of life.
In female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) the pathological process is slightly more complex as the female still has testosterone which can be converted to DHT, however they have reduced amount s of 5 alpha reductase therefore the amount of DHT produced is a lot less, hence they do not have complete baldness during the miniaturisation process. Also, in female pattern hair loss it is an inherited condition occurring anytime during and post menopause.
They also have an enzyme called aromatase which converts testosterone to oestrogen so depending on the genetic background, early female hair loss can occur however most female hair loss occurs after menopause as a result of decreased oestrogen and the effect of the male hormone becomes more apparent which leads to the process of miniaturisation but to a lesser extent.
There are 3 types of female hair loss described as Ludwig 1, 2 and 3.
Example of Type 1
Don't miss our clinic tour video:
Our Hair Transplant Guarantee
For all hair transplantation procedures performed by Hillside Hair Clinic surgeons, we guarantee to replace any non-growing hair transplant graft, free-of-charge, providing the patient has adequate donor hair and meets our terms and conditions. In our experience, such replacement has seldom been necessary.